Investing in the best gym management software is vital for the success of your gym business. As a business owner, you want to make sure your admin is low, your member experience is seamless, and you always have room to grow. Software plays a key role in executing those objectives and more.
When you begin your search for gym software, it can be difficult to know who is the best fit for your gym business. There are dozens of well-known names on the market but at face value, they seem to offer the same thing. Or do they?
In this guide, we compare some of the most popular gym management software providers to help you determine which is the best option for your business.
What is Gym Management Software?
To break it down, gym management software helps gym owners and managers easily manage and organise their businesses. Commonly known as gym SaaS (software as a service), gym scheduling software, studio software, fitness software, and membership software, software designed for fitness businesses has many key roles.
Primarily membership management, class and appointment scheduling, booking and registration management, membership tracking, and staff management, the right software does all this and more. But ensuring your gym management software does at least those functions is essential to your day-to-day.
Benefits of using the best gym management software
What makes the best gym software is its ability to add to your business’s value. The less work you have to do on your admin, the more time you have to spend with your customers, improving your business, and expanding your reach. Any gym software should cover the essentials, but the best gym software will also enable you to:
- Manage bookings and class schedules simply in one easy-to-use place.
- Process global payments through some of the most reliable payment processors on the market.
- Align marketing and sales with intuitive integrations that automate repetitive and time-consuming tasks.
- Have financial insight into your company with clear information about revenue, expenditures, and expected payments.
- Give members control over their own bookings, payments, PAR-Qs and waivers.
- Boost your customer experience with an easy-to-use booking system with clear schedules and simple payment methods.
The 14 best gym management software providers
TeamUp is the leader in gym management software for independent gyms, studios, and boxes. A top contender in this pack, where TeamUp shines is in its, flexibility, scalability, and attention to your business’s and communities needs. At every level, all features are included, with pricing based on the number of active customers using your service each month. TeamUp’s all-in-one software includes a booking platform, online class management, event management, a mobile booking app, financial reporting, top-class customer support, and top-class unlimited customer support available whenever you need it.
- Scalable pricing with all features available at all levels.
- Free, unlimited customer support whenever you need it.
- Unique features for managing families and group plans.
- No SMS campaign features.
- A free plan is currently not available but the starting price is very competitive.
Mindbody is a long-established management software company that has booking solutions for businesses in the health, wellness, and beauty industries, as well as the fitness sector. An all-in-one software solution, there is a big emphasis on enterprise and franchise management. The platform has features for client scheduling, employee management, marketing, processing payments, and online booking.
- Members can take responsibility for managing their own memberships.
- Reliable member app.
- Numerous marketing tools.
- High processing fees.
- Difficult software to learn how to use.
- Not built solely for fitness businesses.
Glofox is a convenient app that comes with a central dashboard and custom user experience. A software solution for small fitness businesses, as well as for larger fitness businesses and fitness franchises, gym owners can schedule classes, manage memberships, and track attendance rates. Glofox has a lead capture tool and integrations for marketing and social media. There is also a branded mobile app for customers to make reservations and payments.
- Gyms can have a branded member app.
- Includes family and group management features.
- Good lead management abilities.
- Lacks transparent pricing.
- Take a fee on top of the provider's fee.
Virtuagym is a software provider for health and fitness, coaching, and corporate wellness. Their management software allows gym owners to create branded invoices. It’s also possible to use multiple payment methods through Virtuagym’s software, including cash, credit cards, direct debit, and wire transfer. Virtuagym has mobile apps, and it is available in a number of different languages.
- Good online classes platform.
- A branded app is available.
- A reliable retention dashboard with membership analytics.
- No transparent pricing.
- Reviews of inconsistent customer service.
PushPress is unique in that they started their own gyms before they started to build gym management software in order to understand the problems that arise when running a gym. PushPress’ gym software aids with managing classes and private classes, payments, and attendance tracking. There are also features to help with managing leads and maintaining member relationships.
- Free plan available.
- Good range of third-party integrations.
- Point-of-sale (POS) system with inventory management available.
- Free plan doesn’t include third-party integrations.
- Pricing for paid plans is relatively high.
- Event management features are limited.
6. Zen Planner
Zen Planner is a gym management software that fits well with boutique gyms, CrossFit boxes, yoga and Pilates studios, martial art schools, as well as gyms. An all-in-one management and scheduling software, gym owners can use Zen Planner’s logbook to track their members’ performances and know when to take their training to the next level. Zen Planner’s scheduling features include class tracking, time monitoring, the ability to embed calendars to your own website, and automated class reminders.
- Scalable pricing. All features are available at all levels.
- Includes reliable workout tracking and coach programming features.
- 15-day free trial available.
- Expensive starting prices.
- No SMS features for marketing campaigns.
With a particular emphasis on yoga studios, spas, salons, personal training, fitness gyms, pilates studios, and dance clubs, as well as gyms, WellnessLiving provides the tools users need to manage day-to-day business tasks. From managing employees and memberships to aiding with sales, marketing, and more, this is an all-in-one software solution. From the backend, gym owners and instructors can manage class schedules while from the front end, clients can use Android and iOS native mobile apps to book classes through Wellnessliving.
- Features for loyalty management based on fitness contests, progress, and purchases.
- An all-in-one gym software solution.
- Email and SMS service is expensive.
- Pay-per-feature pricing plan.
Primarily providing gym management software for gyms, fitness studios and personal training, as well as offering key features from online class management to client automation features, Exercise.com is an all-in-one platform that covers the needs of both in-person training and online fitness business. Exercise.com also has features that allow you to log workouts, conduct digital assessments with your clients, and create custom workouts.
- Member app is branded and reliable with good functionality.
- Good customer service reviews
- Can take time to get to grips with the software.
As with many of the gym management software providers in this list, Gymflow has several core features that make bookings, building schedules, and other administrative tasks a lot easier. What Gymflow also has are features dedicated to improving customer retention and boosting client engagement. Gymflow’s pricing is based on what feature sets you wish to include in your package. Unlike other providers in this list, you will miss out on some useful features with their low and middle packages.
- Simple setting up process.
- Customer reviews highlight ease of use.
- No fixed contracts.
- Pricing is only available on request.
- Certain features are not available depending on the package gym owners opt for.
With scalable pricing, Gymdesk is a good software solution for gyms at different stages of their lifecycle. Popular with martial arts schools, Gymdesk has a number of useful automations that help with day-to-day admin tasks, including a number of options for payment processing. Other key features include attendance tracking, member onboarding online and on mobile, and two-way email and text communication for better member retention.
- Easy to use and intuitive.
- Good marketing tools for lead capture.
- Scalable pricing based on active members.
- Family memberships have no separate inputs for parents or guardians.
SimplyBook.me is a multi-industry booking system. SimplyBook.me work with companies in beauty and wellness, sports and fitness, public services, photographers, retail, and more. A booking platform with a number of functions, SimplyBook.me has a number of integrations, including Google Analytics, to help their customers run their day-to-day. In turn, their clients can easily book appointments and sessions on any device. The software also features tools to help with promoting businesses and generating leads.
- Integrations and API with Google Analytics, Facebook, Instagram, WordPress, and more.
- Marketing automations included in the software.
- A client app is available.
- Not specifically designed for gyms.
- Features don’t include attendance management or attendance tracking.
Specialising in gyms and other health and fitness businesses, GymMaster has a focus on improving gyms’ overall customer experience. With a number of strong features that support online booking, point of sale (POS), and integrated billing transactions, GymMaster is a good example of software that helps gym owners automate simple admin tasks. GymMaster also comes with marketing features that help to generate leads, while their premium packages also come with tools to help with client retention.
- Good point of sale (POS) software.
- Members have a certain amount of autonomy over their billing cycles.
- Customizable POS dashboard.
- Option settings can be difficult to navigate.
EZFacility’s fitness management software covers a wide range of sports and health businesses. EZFacility’s core features include desk check-in services, tools to track invoices and payments, and tools to help with staff payroll. With EZFacility, you can also get reports and analytics for your business. With a branded app available, gym owners can create a good customer experience and maintain their unique brand identity.
- Offers a lot of unique tools.
- Good front desk and point of sale (POS) tools.
- A branded member app is available.
- No transparent pricing.
- The mobile app doesn't have separate iOS and Android versions.
RhinoFit’s gym management software focuses on simplicity. As well as aiming their software toward gyms, RhinoFit is also a good option for dojos, fitness clubs, and affiliate gym businesses. Rhino Fit has features to help you create email marketing campaigns to generate new business and attract new members, alongside the core features of online booking and automated billing and payment processing. Gym owners can create and brand custom merchandise and, through the app, they’re able to keep track of sales.
- Good reviews citing ease of use.
- The free version has more features than certain competitors’ free versions.
- Reviews of slow customer support.
- RhinoFit-specific hardware can be expensive.
How to choose the best gym management software for your gym
The gym management software you choose to help you run your business depends on certain factors. The size of your business, your budget, reviews of customer support, and most importantly which key features you will benefit the most from are all important when you’re searching for the best gym management software for your fitness business.
Knowing which key features you should look out for when you start choosing gym management software can be difficult so we’ve put together a list of just some of the key features you should expect from your gym software provider.
1. An organized dashboard that’s easy to navigate
When you sign up for a demo with a potential gym management software provider, make sure you understand exactly how the dashboard operates. Getting lost in an online labyrinth as you try to set up automated admin tasks can make it seem easier to run things without software.
A seamless and intuitive dashboard that makes it clear to see where all the information you need, makes all the difference. When you sign into your dashboard, you want to be able to easily find information such as your business calendar, reports, customer lists, staff and employee management, activity feed and other important tools that will help you manage your business.
A clean and organised dashboard will help you save time on admin, streamline processes and scale your business.
2. Scalable pricing
Scalable pricing is a big plus when you’re choosing gym management software. Scalable pricing means that you only pay based on the number of active members you have using your fitness business.
With an option such as TeamUp, you will also never have to make alterations yourself. When the amount of members you have goes up to a specific number, your software automatically changes your tariff. Similarly, if your client base drops below a certain number, your software will again make the adjustment for you down to the relevant pricing scale.
3. Reliable customer support
The last thing any gym owner wants is to be stuck in an endless loop talking to and emailing different customer support team members to resolve any issues. The best gym management software companies offer unlimited customer support with a team member dedicated to your business who communicates with you as well as their team clearly.
Choosing gym management software that offers unlimited free support with a designated support team member means building a rapport with someone who understands and cares about your business. Knowing that you can send an email or schedule a call at a time that suits you to address any issues gives you confidence in the software you choose to invest your business’s money in.
4. Thorough and robust reporting
Reporting plays a huge role when you choose gym management software. The best gym management software will come with a wide range of reports that you can access from your dashboard. Reports allow you to make objective business decisions based on the facts and data in front of you rather than making snap judgments or allowing emotions to get in the way. The types of reports you’d ideally look for from gym software include:
- Tracking payments. Know who has or hasn’t paid.
- Tracking class attendance. See who’s come to class, who cancelled late or who didn’t turn up.
- See which clients are slipping away. Know who hasn’t attended classes for a certain amount of time and use marketing integrations to re-engage with them.
- Know which classes are popular or unpopular. Have a clear idea of which classes are popular and at which times. Decide whether some classes need more time slots or which need to be removed from the schedule.
- Income reports. Have a full overview of your earnings and expenditures.
With the right reporting in place, become an expert in your own business. Know when you need to make tough calls to keep your business growing, such as knowing which classes aren’t performing well or when you need to re-engage with clients you haven’t seen in a while.
5. A fully-functioning mobile app
The majority of gym software now comes with a downloadable member app so that your customers can book classes and make payments on the go. Most people nowadays do a lot of their online transactions from their phones, so choosing gym management software with a reliable mobile app will make your overall customer experience even better.
A reliable app will have your schedule clearly laid out for your members so they can select their preferred classes quickly. It should also be easy for your members to purchase memberships, upload their payment details, and also to complete PAR-Qs and health waivers. Making the sign-up process quick and easy to do from a mobile phone is a good way to ensure new leads don’t slip away and helps to retain clients.
6. Integrations that do the heavy lifting for you
The best gym management software will have a number of integrations available that have been specifically designed to free up your time. From sending out notifications and pre or post-class emails to marketing integrations, gym owners should be on the lookout for a provider who can guarantee that those time-consuming, repetitive admin tasks are a thing of the past.
Integrations create simple processes that don’t just make your life easier, but also help to boost your customer experience. Even some of the seemingly simpler integrations can help you to consistently provide a great customer experience. Integrations can help gym owners in a number of ways, such as:
- Free up your time from doing repetitive admin tasks.
- Improve business-to-customer engagement.
- Speed up communications through automated notifications and emails.
- Automate and perform tasks so you don’t have to.
- Provide secure and timely payments.
The scope of what you can achieve through integrations is large. What makes integrations so important when you’re deciding on which gym management software to invest in is that once you set up a task, you can sit back and know that your software will automatically do the rest. It really is that simple.
7. Good user reviews on review websites
There’s no better critic for software than fitness business owners and gym managers who have actually had experience using them. When you want to know who other industry professionals consider the best gym management software providers, there are a few websites you can use to not only read ratings and reviews but also get a side-by-side comparison of prices and key features.
By using review sites such as G2, GetApp, Capterra, and TrustPilot, you can get a very thorough idea of what people like about certain gym software providers, where they think can be improved, and even why some fitness businesses have decided to leave their previous gym management software providers for another software solution.
Compare gym management software providers
Why switch to TeamUp?
TeamUp is not just one of the most recommended gym management software providers, it’s also ranked as the second easiest to use by G2. TeamUp provides their customers with all the features they need to better run their business by taking the complexity out of admin and freeing up gym owners’ and gym managers’ schedules, allowing them to concentrate on the day-to-day running of their gyms.
TeamUp customer support is unlimited and with team members who are not just knowledgable about the product but also about your business. With TeamUp, you know you’ll be speaking with someone who genuinely cares about helping you to make your gym business as successful as it can be.
With robust features and integrations that are all included in the monthly price of the software, you don’t have to worry about hidden costs or missing out on that one feature that would really help you take control of your business.
Frequently asked questions about the best gym software
What software do most gyms use?
With over 3,000 customers, fitness businesses use TeamUp for its robust and reliable features, easy-to-use integrations, and reliable, free, and unlimited customer support. Simple for businesses to use and intuitive for gym members to navigate schedules online or through the member app, TeamUp is suitable for new businesses to large businesses and even has features in place for franchises.
What is gym management system?
A gym management system is a software as a service (SaaS) that helps gym owners streamline and automate day-to-day admin tasks. With online booking, automated payments and billing, as well as marketing integrations to generate leads, it has a number of uses that are vital to the running of a successful fitness business.
What is the use of gym software?
Gym software is used by gym owners to simplify time-consuming and repetitive tasks. From scheduling and taking bookings, to marketing and providing robust reports about every part of your business, gym software is a multi-faceted product that improves the running of fitness businesses.
How much does gym software cost?
The cost of gym software depends on the provider’s policy. There are gym management software providers that offer a pay-per-feature structure. Gym owners will then need to decide what their budget is and which feature set will give them what they need.
Alternatively, there are gym software providers who have scalable pricing. This means that gym owners pay an amount based on the number of active members they have. Typically all features are included at each price point.
Why do you need gym management software?
The right gym management software can help gym owners in numerous ways. It helps to organise schedules, and bookings, as well as to take payments through payment processors. Gym software can also help to automate marketing emails and notifications. Automating a lot of these processes saves gym owners time from sitting at their desks doing admin.
How do you manage a fitness center?
There are certain tools and processes that any fitness business owner needs to have in place in order to effectively manage a fitness center.
- Reliable gym management software.
- Keep track of revenue and expenditure.
- Hire the right people to join your team.
- Encourage professional development and training for your team.
- Regularly review your customer journey and boost your customer experience.
- Be consistent with your marketing.
- Encourage referrals.
- Make your fitness center a community.
What are the functional requirements in a gym management system?
The functional requirements of a gym management system are the primary technical needs in order for the gym software to perform as it should. For example, users should be able to create an account and store their information in the gym management system. It should be mandatory for users to register and login in order to use the software. Admin should be able to manage members’ accounts and their records from the dashboard.