Kick-Start Your Strength: Gym Confidence Workshop
Our Kick-Start Your Strength: Gym Confidence Workshop is to be held on Sunday 18th February 2024 from 10 am till 3pm.
This introductory workshop led by coaches Sam Young and Carly Killen is designed for beginners who want to learn proper strength training technique and overcome any lack of confidence when it comes to lifting weights. However, this will also be beneficial for those who have been using the gym for a while but need guidance on the exercises they have already been doing to get the most out of them.
Strength training provides many benefits - it can help you build muscle, burn fat, improve bone density, boost metabolism, and enhance mental health and confidence.
But many find the weight room intimidating. We created this workshop to provide a completely private and judgment-free environment for people to learn within a supportive gym environment.
In this workshop, you'll learn:
- The benefits of strength training..
- How to safely and effectively perform basic strength training exercises..
- How to regress and progress the lifts, to be suitable to your own current ability level.
- Form and technique from our highly qualified and experienced coaches..
- Tips to build your own strength training routines..
- How to track progress and set goals.
No prior experience is required. All you need is an open mind and willingness to step outside your comfort zone. We know taking that first step can be daunting, but Sam and Carly will be there to guide you through every rep.
Space is limited to 8 people maximum to ensure optimal personal coaching within the workshop.
Book your place soon if you'd like to join us, as spaces are extremely limited and will be given on a first come, first served basis.
We hope you take advantage of this opportunity to get started on a stronger, healthier you. Let me know if you have any other questions!
Strength & Support,
Sam and Carly
Further details of the workshop:
*Under 18s are allowed, but must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who is also booking on to the course.
Exercises covered to include variations and progressions and regressions of :
- Squat, Split Squat and Lunge..
- Deadlift/Hip Hinge/Hip Extension..
- Hip Thrust..
- Overhead press/Bench press/Push-up & other pressing exercises..
- Pull-ups/Inverted row/Bent-over row & variations..
Spending five hours covering the main movements will ensure an in-depth technical focus on the key strength exercises. Specific regressions and progressions for each exercise will be given specific to individual participant skill levels. The emphasis will be on technique development with lighter weights and the aim is to give you the confidence to perform the lifts correctly and safely.
When and where is it held?
The venue will be at Strong For Life, a bespoke strength and weightlifting training facility based off Chamberlain Road in Hull on Sunday 18th February 2024 from 10 am till 3pm (Don't worry, there will be plenty of breaks, chances to watch demos, listen and watch presentations etc - you won't be lifting non-stop!). This workshop is open to all - there is no need to have a gym membership.
Who will be coaching me?
Your coaches will be Sam Young and Carly Killen,
Sam has worked as a strength coach since 2010. Here are some of his relevant experiences and achievements:
- British Weightlifting qualified Coach since 2012, with experience in lifting and coaching at regional and national level.
- Sam is experienced in coaching all ages and levels of experience, from teenagers and beginners, to coaching at National competitions, and all the way up to working with people in their 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and beyond!
- Competed in weightlifting competitions across England from 2014, placing 4th at the 2016 English Weightlifting Championships in the men's 85kg category.
- BSc (Hons) Sports Science: Loughborough University 2006
- REPs Level 3 Personal Trainer since 2010
- British Weightlifting Level 1 Coach since 2012, Level 2 since 2014
Carly is a Registered Dietitian, Podcaster and founder of Strong Bones Club.
Here are some of her relevant experiences and achievements:
- Extensive experience 10 years working as a Dietitian within the NHS helping people recovering from severe illness to rebuild their health and strength with evidence based nutrition support
- Carly blends her experience in nutrition and personal training to support building strength and confidence in beginner lifters and those experiencing or recovering from health challenges so they can restore their well-being.
- Certified Menopause Support Coach
- Level 3 Personal Trainer
- Competed at the British Masters Weightlifting Championships
Here's a summary of everything you will get when you book on to this workshop:
- Five hours of highly personalised coaching from a highly qualified and experienced Strength and Weightlifting Coaches, within a privately-hired facility at Hull and East Yorkshire's only British Weightlifting affiliated Weightlifting club..
- Access to professional strength training equipment, including lighter technique barbells, that many commercial gyms lack..
- The opportunity to ask questions about strength training, nutrition, recovery, programming etc..
- You will also receive a pdf copy of our strength training for beginners technique guide booklet.
All of the above is yours for a one off payment of just £150.00.
BOOK HERE NOW TO AVOID DISAPPOINTMENT, as spaces are limited to maximum 12 people
If you have any questions, please get in touch:
We look forward to seeing you soon!